It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Starting Out-Don't Go To A Private Audio School!!! 
AT Regular

Nice to see George Makarkis of JMC weighing in here, although I am beginning to think that we are all wasting our time; it appears that this whole thread exists to allow one bored but obviously intelligent 'academic' to sharpen a shed full of personal axes, one at a time! 

I agree with all that George has said, although I think he might have interpreted some things I wrote as being aimed at JMC when, in fact, I was being very careful not to mention JMC or to otherwise directly implicate them. Nowhere in my posts do I even mention the name 'JMC'; and I am quite annoyed by the derogatory re-interpretations of the 'JMC' acronym that appeared in the rant that started this whole topic. Nice way to start a debate, Dr Hash...

Having said that, it is well known that I worked at JMC for a long time; about 13 years prior to moving to AIM in May of 2008 (after about one year's worth of deliberating, and not out of any bad blood or disagreement with JMC, I might add). Although I worked at a few other audio schools before JMC, it would be understandably easy for George to interpret any mention I make of a 'previous employer' or 'distant past' as referring to JMC - even though that might not have been the case, or, if it was, I was keeping it anonymous purely as an example to support an argument, rather than finger pointing.

I would like to clarify one thing in particular. In reference to my comments on 'padding' out, George wrote:

"The comment of being asked to ‘stretch’ the 1 year course to 2 years is incorrect."

I am not sure how George came to that conclusion without first asking which school I was referring to! I did preface my comment with "I have worked in audio schools in the distant past..." which may or may not have been referring to JMC. I did not intend to implicate anyone, but George's comment quoted above has inadvertently implicated JMC by asserting that what I said was incorrect and then proceeding to correct it. All I will say is that it took place at an audio school that I worked at "in the distant past", which could've been JMC, AEC, AAEC or the VAEC depending on how you define 'distant'. Perhaps even SAE, depending on how you define 'worked', because I edited an audio textbook for Tom Misner many years ago. I was deliberately vague on specifics because it was the examples that were important, not the places.

Furthermore on the 'padding' out topic, George wrote:

"Not sure why the business units are an issue for Greg, particularly since AIM has similar units in its degree program, as every decent education institution should."

Business units were never an issue for me. Going back to what I wrote: "...the remainder was ancillary subjects like business studies and so on that can be argued are valid, but others might consider to be padding." I actually said they could be "argued are valid", and never implied they were an issue for me; in fact, I said that "others might consider [them] to be padding". Personally, I think it is very important for business studies to be included in any kind of course where the graduates are likely to ultimately become self-employed.

As for the 'sausage factory' stuff (an unfortunate off-the-cuff term I use more often than I really should), it is not about the number of semesters per year, it is about the number of actual students graduating from a school in any given year. If we compare the absolute numbers of students graduating every year from SAE, JMC and AIM, we'll get a very different picture than that painted by the number of semesters per year.

Anyway, the last thing we need *here* is an argument between different private audio schools; sure we are competing, but in this case we have far more to benefit from emphasising what we have in common...

- Greg Simmons

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:07 pm
AT Newbie

A very interesting topic, and I felt like adding a small comment as I'm currently a student at one of these institutions.

I've always been very pro private education, particularly as a mature age student I find that private colleges and the like offer a much better grade of education (generally speaking) than public shools or TAFE's.

I'm studying in Adelaide, which is certainly not the biggest institute of its type in the country, but it has been here for a long time and when I was looking at courses it seemed to have a pretty good reputation.

Unfortunately I am now finding some quite frustrating aspects to the course (Diploma of Sound Production, 12 months full time). These are mainly focused around the equipment. I should state here that I am doing the DSP to gain employment, hopefully in editing or SFX, and that when I initially approached my school with this target in mind, I was assured that my chances were good PROVIDED I put in the time in the studios and was very self motivated to learn.

My school breaks the DSP into 3 trimesters of 14 weeks contact time. Each trimester contains several components, but a big focus of each is the studio type we get to access. They only have 3 studios, 1 analogue tape, 1 Mackie Digital, and 1 PT9-HD with (I think) an Icon control surface. Unfortunately the better studios are off limits until later in the course.

T1 was analogue land, and the equipment was perfectly functional, good quality gear. However it soon became apparent that, other than the few minutes allocated to us on the exam tape, there was no blank or reusable tape media to record anything on. We could mix other peoples work to our hearts content, but actual recording was limited to our assesment unless, as students, we wanted to fork out the 1-2 hundred bucks on top of our course fees to buy a blank tape.

T2, which I am half way through, was our introduction to a digital desk, and I have to say though the desk itself might be of excellent quality, it is in such bad need of a service it's virtually unusable. Several buttons are stuck, the rotary encoders don't respond correctly, the gain pots make noise in half the positions, none of it's calibrated to the ProTools machine hanging off the end of the chain, and half the time it doesn't turn on properly. I even said to my lecturer that I wanted to start recording in there, and the response I got can only be described as dubious, as the equipment and studio itself are simply not up to par. I think I can safely say than of my class I have booked the most studio time, but find that what I can achieve in there is very limited (in both studios).

T3, which is in 2 months time, we will finally have access to the HD studio, and I can only hope that when I get there, apart from there being available time, that all the equipment will be fully functional.

I do have to say that my lecturer is very good, and I have learnt so very very much in the 6 months I have been there. But I'm paying a lot of extra dough for a private education from a school that promotes itself as being "state of the art" and I am now wondering if I might have been better off going to a public school, which may have older gear but at least it might work and I might have access to it.

I am speculating of course, I have no basis for comparison, but it has left me feeling a little discouraged and if a friend asked me I think perhaps I might not recommend the private option as vehemently as I have in the past, particularly here in Adelaide.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:30 pm
AT Regular

Silencer, I graduated from SAE Adelaide a few years back. Not sure if he's still there, but Craig offers a wealth of knowledge so be sure to ask him as many questions as you can, he was always more than happy to help inquisitive students out. I have nothing but respect for all the lecturers there. They have it tougher in terms of resources compared to their east coast brethren.

I know exactly how you are feeling, I felt the same way. The first two terms can be painful when all you want to do is get into the main studio and play with the better toys. The tape room, although great fun at first, grew extremely boring - what do you mean there's tape but I can't record onto it!!??

The Mackie room started to get more fun, but the D8B in there was still working fine a few years ago... strangely, there used to also be a Neve summing amp in there which I stupidly never used because by the time I got into the main studio I never wanted to set foot in the Mackie room again. If the Neve is still in there, I urge you to ask Craig to show you how to use it! I always found the Mackie room to be a really nice room to mix in, it has a really nice vibe in there, it's just a pity it isn't equipped better.

The Main Studio... well, it's no Neve or SSL etc, but it is a great room to learn in. The mic locker has a heap of mics in it, but plenty of them are beaten up to all hell. I suggest finding the ones which work for you and sticking to them. The AKG CK91 mics with the SE 300 bodies (the little gold pencil mics) are great little guys, don't look past them just because they look like they've been run over by a truck several times and then wrapped in 10 year old melted gaffer tape. Speaking of looking destroyed, don't bother with the U87, it really is destroyed (unless they've had it fixed?). To this day, it still irritates me to see the state of some of the mics in that locker and I am astounded as to how students can do that to the poor microphones. The best pre-amps in the main studio are - please, nobody laugh at this - the Focusrite Greens. They're the ones that look like something which Frodo designed during his days in the Shire (you'll know what I mean when you see them).

I was told by somebody during my time there that SAE Adelaide and Perth don't get anywhere near the money and gear thrown at them as other SAE schools. In fact, it was a running joke - although, I'm told, a reality - the only time the Adelaide school got new gear was when Melbourne or Sydney were throwing something out. I guess Tom Misner was more interested in having a plasma in every room of his house or something?

Sorry for the rant. To summarize, although the gear is not the greatest, the training is still quite good if you're willing to devote your time to it and look past the rough edges. And book as much studio time as you can.

Oh, and please don't drop the U87.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:38 am
AT Regular

"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war"

Well I was going to let this one go through to the slips I have had my fun yes Greg I am a bored hopefully academic just waiting for research proposal to go through but but all of the points that I have made are relevant and valid and you and George have vindicated my comments and threads by the slanging match you have engaged in and no amount of back peddling and back slapping will delete your previous posts that your potential customers can now see.

I like you Greg even though I don't know you, you seam from your words to have your students best interests at heart although you do have your eye also on your fat pay check that by your admission is your primary source of income so just remember you put that one out there and so new students if you are going to AIM just remember Greg’s words but on saying that I believe you would be better going off to AIM than either JMC or SAE.

The poor fellow Silencer I feel for you, your experience with SAE is one that is echoed at SAE Melbourne.  That is poor facilities and equipment.  I suggest you RUN and go either to a proper uni or go to another school.  What this topic has highlighted is perhaps SAE is the bottom of the pile, if it is not enough that Tom Misner has sold the school and the name (correct me if I am wrong but I have read he has sold the lot) and taken his cricket bat home and your money he has left SAE as a joke in this country) of course SAE is a global brand and what the school is like overseas is anybody’s guess.

Onto JMC not much better than SAE in Melbourne (ok Greg I have been over generalizing) but if we go over Georges words it could be safe to surmise that JMC is no better in terms of the money making machine.  Although I will give George this the Equipment was better at JMC Melbourne.

But lets look at Georges words (I have printed them out so I could dissect them properly something I should have done with Greg’s words but as I say I like Greg, George on the other hand).

First and foremost who is George Makakis? I have googled him not much comes up but lets get this straight he is not in anyway shape and form a creative individual or has ever been involved in the creative arts as an audio engineer or as a performer or any of the other myriad of creative roles that he is now involved in at JMC.

Why is this important? Well motive for one at least Greg as far as I can tell is still a practicing audio engineer and has a passion for what he does but what drives George?  Money and Greed it is plain and simple.

Ok let’s look at what he wrote:  "We did not double our audio numbers" is quote one he then goes on to say that students are guaranteed a minimum of studio time.  So question one is this to George, "What is the guaranteed minimum studio time"  If it is four hours per week who here agrees that this is not enough hands on time to learn the equipment, the studio let alone complete your assignments.  I know this was the case in my last year (2009) these are complex assignments some involving surround sound, some requiring the recording and mixing of bands.  If four hours are the minimum guaranteed studio time, then I think George you will have to do better.

Another thing that is dubious in Georges first quote is he says they did not double their audio intake but he did not categorically deny that there had been an increase in numbers in the audio course, so the next question is in 2009 what were the total numbers enrolled in the audio course compared to 2010 and 2011.

On to quote two "Expansion" I love this he is making my job easy, the recording studios are brimming full, you are guaranteed a minimum of four hours a week hands on time (lets clear this up too not by yourself but with four other people) you are now closing the studio at 8 pm and by your admission you have increased the audio school intake although by how much we don't know but not one new studio is being built to help house the extra students.  On top of that you had the chance to build a proper mastering facility this is something the other audio teachers felt that we desperately needed and something I believe also is desperately needed.  This the one area where professionals can make money these days and your expansion includes ambiguous rooms such as office space, student rooms and only two more classrooms.  I use the term ambiguous because what you have written is politic polywaffle.  I applaud your building the TV studio and rehearsal space and of course a library (this was needed from the very beginning) what is ambiguous is what comes next, study spaces (sounds like classrooms to me) student areas still sounds like classrooms to me.

Ok George has conceded one point the studio at JMC Melbourne do shut at 8pm.

Entry requirements well George is partially correct but even at Tafe doing a Certificate 4 in Technical production has a much more rigorous selection process.  I know Anthony Tok Norris at RMIT (selection officer and arch enemy) would not have just taken anyone off the street just because they had four hundred bucks.  Also this is at Cert 4 level and you sir are offering a diploma some sort of standardised testing if you haven't passed year 12 or done any Uni study previously would help.  I could go on about this one but I wont, all I will say it would be good if my experience and my woman’s experience and this was SAE and JMC was not one of a classroom full of lost souls who are only there because it gets centerlink off their back or it gets mum off their back.

Bachelor Degree, hey I am only reporting what one of your ex-employees has said to me.  Now I accept that he may have his own agenda but from my experience of the staff at JMC Melbourne it is highly likely he is telling the truth.  Roslind Tabbaco is an insane woman (she is the person who runs the campus at Melbourne) most if not all the teachers I have had at JMC have either had run ins with this woman or have left the facility.  I have brought this up because perhaps she is running her own agenda and just perhaps you don't know about it.  I will say this though she is a strange one.  I was in her office close to expulsion (yes I am a very naughty boy and I am not the messiah) and what she said to me was at the very least unprofessional.  She intimated that all I needed was a good smack and all of sudden I would not be a naughty boy.  So you get my drift.

Leniency of marking.  This is a funny one, in your statement it is said that referencing and proper referencing was not included on the assessment criteria from my recollection and from my own assessment criteria sheet which I still have it is clearly stated referencing is expected.  Also I know Mark he has taught me and although I don't like Mark I do respect him and I know he would have clearly stated referencing is expected.  Also if it is true and you put out an assessment criteria sheet without stating clearly that referencing is expected how can your school be taken seriously.  You wonder why you and your school cop criticism all I had to do was shoot down this argument with what I have just said, none of the other stuff is not even needed.  This is gross incompetence at best, at worst it is a dubious attempt by you to cover your tracks.  I will not go any further on this one because the marking thing goes much further.

Also you have mentioned Mark did not leave as I have stated well I can only go on what I have heard from the rest of the staff and Marks conspicuous absence from this forum to verify your statement speaks volumes.  Also your little blurb about Mark didn't contain the real reason if I am wrong but what your little blurb did say although not implicit was you sir are a Diablo, you are dangling a very large carrot in front of Mark everybody knows that in audio land the best way to achieve a permanent income is to teach at one of your schools.  So I can only ascertain that his silence has been brought.

Sponsors and Branding,  You have as far as I know have a deal going with Yamaha.  Yamaha provide you with equipment for your live shows, you have Yamaha desks throughout the studio complex although I don't know the exact deal it is an implicit relationship you have with that company.  I have also seen job advertising for Yamaha on the student notice boards.

Also I almost had a job with Yamaha.  They were super keen to have me on board because nobody wanted the job.  I was waiting for the HR guy to get back to me over the Australia day holiday he had already sent me three or four emails detailing that he was keen to have a chat.  Then after the Australia day holiday that keenness evaporated, who knows what happened but I do know JMC and Yamaha have a strong relationship.

Student Representation, Yea I know all about your student representation it is a toothless position on a toothless board.  Student representation at uni is generally on two levels one on the board as you have suggested but there is also an independent student body that takes care of the well being and day to day needs of the students.  This includes get togethers and the like.  This is the most important part of uni forming bonds between students but I can see why you would not want a strong independent student body because you would not have a school left.  Everybody at JMC Melbourne that I knew and talked to all had gripes, imagine putting all those gripes into an independent body.  It would be kaos and anarchy.

Ok so I have now gone through Georges points and pointed out the flaws in his points.  That is a lot of pointing and as you can see Greg and George have been doing a lot of pointing at each other.  What the readers of this forum and the kids who are thinking about going to audio school think of this pointing is up to them. 

Just remember that the private uni system in this country is huge over a billion dollars, yes there is rigorous standards but not rigorous enough I mean why would the government make the standard of these schools so high that none of them would be able to still operate (this is what is needed to improve our “private” education system).  It's all money to them, it's is all money to George as well.

It is also true that you might receive a great education at a private school and a crap one a public school, this is called the luck of the draw but at least this discussion has drawn the worms out of their larder (not you Greg) and those who do decide to continue down the path of education have a better idea of the machinations that are going on behind the scenes at "private audio schools" and by default the music industry as a whole. 

http://www.aaudiomystiks.com

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:38 am
AT Newbie

So Dr.Hash let me get this straight.

- Your girlfriend used the wrong software and cheated-the college failed her so you blame the college and start ranting how bad their institution is. Sounds to me that they have a certain level of ethics in failing her.

- You almost get expelled - what did you do Dr.Hash? disrupt other students in some manner like an annoying dhead, wilfully destroy equipment, drugs or generally just being a pain in the arse. So what do you do - you accuse a staff member of being "insane" for telling you off. Sounds to me that you needed to be put in your place. You admit that you " are a naughty boy". Don't be a jerk - take responsibily for your actions and man up instead of taking it out on the college.

The bottom line is that everyone can choose to do what they want and what is best for them. I would encourage all budding audio engineers to look at EVERY option Uni's, private providers or doing it themselves before choosing what path is best for them. Ask a million questions with regards to studio time, equipment and the lecturers ability before signing up and especially talk to the existing students. But don't listen to the ramblings of just one bloke who has an obvious chip on his shoulder. 

See what I did there Dr.Hash, I encouraged anyone interested in an audio career to get out there and ask questions and to persue their dream in the way they feel suits them best not fill them full of hate for those institutions teaching and providing employment for audio engineers.

If you have a chip on your shoulder - fine - deal with it and go to the govt department responsible for dealing with private providers but don't go using a forum to rant on and slag off at everyone who you have a problem with even those you have not even met.

Maybe you can give us your real name and address and offer guys starting out your time and equipment free of charge - but make sure your facilities are up to date and you can spare the time to teach - gee I guess you are going to have to charge a fee for all this, hope you don't fail anyone or you might be on the recieving end of someone's rant. 

Now you will reply by calling me an industry stooge or capitilist pig or that I have some secret agenda with private providers or yamaha or whatever other dirt you can throw without evidence.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:56 pm
AT Regular

Audionewbie said:

So Dr.Hash let me get this straight.

- Your girlfriend used the wrong software and cheated-the college failed her so you blame the college and start ranting how bad their institution is. Sounds to me that they have a certain level of ethics in failing her.

- You almost get expelled - what did you do Dr.Hash? disrupt other students in some manner like an annoying dhead, wilfully destroy equipment, drugs or generally just being a pain in the arse. So what do you do - you accuse a staff member of being "insane" for telling you off. Sounds to me that you needed to be put in your place. You admit that you " are a naughty boy". Don't be a jerk - take responsibily for your actions and man up instead of taking it out on the college.

The bottom line is that everyone can choose to do what they want and what is best for them. I would encourage all budding audio engineers to look at EVERY option Uni's, private providers or doing it themselves before choosing what path is best for them. Ask a million questions with regards to studio time, equipment and the lecturers ability before signing up and especially talk to the existing students. But don't listen to the ramblings of just one bloke who has an obvious chip on his shoulder. 

See what I did there Dr.Hash, I encouraged anyone interested in an audio career to get out there and ask questions and to persue their dream in the way they feel suits them best not fill them full of hate for those institutions teaching and providing employment for audio engineers.

If you have a chip on your shoulder - fine - deal with it and go to the govt department responsible for dealing with private providers but don't go using a forum to rant on and slag off at everyone who you have a problem with even those you have not even met.

Maybe you can give us your real name and address and offer guys starting out your time and equipment free of charge - but make sure your facilities are up to date and you can spare the time to teach - gee I guess you are going to have to charge a fee for all this, hope you don't fail anyone or you might be on the recieving end of someone's rant. 

Now you will reply by calling me an industry stooge or capitilist pig or that I have some secret agenda with private providers or yamaha or whatever other dirt you can throw without evidence.

No, I have given you my real name and my qualifications and my philosophical belief all at the bottom of my posts.  If you want my help and my equipment then they are yours free of charge, hmm did you hear that free of charge, this offer is for you only.  I will though, happily provide any and all knowledge that I may acquire right or wrong for free.  My setup is modest but if any one feels they would like to use that equipment then I am open to suggestions as to what the client feels is an adequate price.

See I have no fly’s upon my back whoever you may be. I understand that in this economy all interactions with clients free or not is a good thing.  I have a lot of knowledge that goes beyond what I own in terms of equipment and once again if you want that knowledge free of charge it's up you.   

http://www.aaudiomystiks.com

Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:16 pm
AT Regular

I know this is a forum on the internet so we don't have to look each other in the face, but let's try keep this clean and civil guys otherwise we'll just turn into gearslutz or something.

thumb-up

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:46 pm
AT Regular

SVB is correct. 

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:29 pm
Hi Ben Phillips, aka Dr. Hash.

The only reason I have posted this is to clarify comments
pertaining to my person.

Firstly, I am on the forum, my name is now Mark
McKinnon-Bassett, I have posted in the acoustics section in the past.

It is unfortunate that my name appears to have been dragged
into this farce of a thread.

In reference to your comments about me…

“An example of this is a writer for
this magazine, one Mark Basset wanted to fail a whole class at JMC because they
had not referenced properly and in some cases not referenced at all but because
this would have been bad for business they were all passed.  Let’s just
say that at least Mark had the balls to go no way and resigned after this”.

Swing and a miss I’m afraid. I did not want to fail an entire
class; I have never had an entire class who did not meet the basic requirements
for referencing anyway, at any school. I did not resign after any incident real
or otherwise at JMC. I simply moved to NSW with my now wife as George said.
Period. Your third hand information is entirely unreliable, but good on you for
believing it and posting it on a public forum. Hearsay isn’t admissible for a
reason.

Upon returning to Sydney I took up an offer to work at SAE,
where I currently work full-time.

“Also you have mentioned Mark did not
leave as I have stated well I can only go on what I have heard from the rest of
the staff and Marks conspicuous absence from this forum to verify your
statement speaks volumes.  Also your little blurb about Mark didn't contain
the real reason if I am wrong but what your little blurb did say although not
implicit was you sir are a Diablo, you are dangling a very large carrot in
front of Mark everybody knows that in audio land the best way to
achieve a permanent income is to teach at one of your schools.  So I can
only ascertain that his silence has been brought.”

You were corrected by George, and now
me in reference to my leaving JMC. If you wish to use ‘the rest of the staff’
to support your assertion then name names. State your source or walk away. The
absence of a person on a forum speaks volumes? The only reason for my absence
is that this thread had nothing in it worth commenting on – I’m simply here to correct
the inaccuracies surrounding me. George isn’t offering or dangling anything in
front of me. He works for a competitors school, so does Greg. There’s nothing
more to it. I’m happily employed at SAE, I have a full time job that supports
my doctoral research, and your statement that my “silence has been brought
[sic]” is offensive, unsupported and entirely untrue.

Happy Holidays!

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:06 pm
AT Newbie

Just want to preface this by pointing out that I work at the Sydney JMC campus in the recording studios.

Ben,

I'm not going to defend George, I'm sure he's more than capable of doing that himself, but you're leaping to a lot of conclusions about people you don't personally know. I think Mark's post supports this very well. Just be careful of that. If you've got issues with things, fine (and they may well be justified), but accusing people of things when you don't know them isn't very constructive.

-

"For instance did you know MOTU, RME, ProTools/M-Audio and Roland all use the same brand of converters and I think they all use the same converters (still investigating)"
If you want to know more about converter chip types, take a look at this link. You'll find it very interesting. Also, consider the second post in that thread where they mention that just because things have similar chips doesn't mean they sound the same http://www.gearslutz.com/board.....isted.html

-

"Pulteq EQ by UAD although I have not heard a real one the Pulteq does do something different to the program audio unlike the generic EQ units provided by your host DAW software."

True. While I haven't used the UAD plugin version, I use other Pultec EQ plugins that supposedly copy their characteristics and also use Pultec outboard EQs. While they're great plugins, they don't sound exactly the same as the real deal. You should borrow or hire one for a week and try out the differences in the two! It'll be a fun test.

-

"What the biggest problem is that these courses are not keeping up with the technology."
I disagree. Our JMC campus' have gone through a massive upgrade over the summer. We're now running ProTools 9 on every computer, have upgraded our MIDI libraries across all studios, we now have every Waves plugin they make (always have and will be legit, not cracked! haha) plus plugins by Slate Digital, Sonnox etc (I think the only place to go from there would be UAD), we have bought new microphones and recorders for studio and location recording. We had an engineer come in the other week (credits include Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel, You Am I, Pete Murray), take one look at our facilities and be amazed at how up to date we were compared to other commercial studios!
Greg mentioned a ton of excellent equipment that AIM have. Also, take a look at Julian's studio links and you'll see another place that has excellent modern facilities to be used (makes me drool Julian!).

-

"Once again feel free to correct me and I must do more research into this but most mid priced equipment into reasonable convertors (no one seams to have mentioned about the fact that most mid priced audio interfaces use the same brand of converter) is better than what all the greatest recordings in history have been made with."
Also must disagree with this one. There is a reason people still use 'classic' Neumann/Royer/Schoeps mics, Neve pres/eqs, 1176/1178/LA2As, Pultec EQs etc. If you give a good musician and average mic+pre+converters to perform into they'll sound good, but give them a high quality mic+pre+converters (or even tape) and they'll sound amazing. The difference is night and day!

-

I don't feel I'm really arguing for JMC or any other institution as such, I just wanted to highlight a few small things.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next