It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Getting into Post-production 
AT Regular

Does anyone who works in audio post-production have any tips for people who are eager to get into this industry? laugh

Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:17 pm
AT Regular

I'm assuming you mean, get paid to do post production, right?

I'm not there yet, but soon hopefully.  I'm treading the do lots of stuff for free, make networks, then start asking for little bits of money, etc.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:31 pm
AT Regular

Hey Eric

Are you meaning film audio post production or song/music mixdown-type post production?

For film you'd have to get in touch with a film school and advertise your services for students needing help.

….though I have seen ads for film post production work (unpaid) in an established studio here in Melb a little while ago.

For bands, there are loads out there who are doing their own demos who would would probably love to have someone who knows a bit more about the process to step in and give them a decent sounding mix.

I did the same thing Zygurt did (both film & bands, but mostly bands) – lots of freebies for friends and friends of friends to learn about the craft and develop my skills then started asking for a really small payment to cover my time and equipment costs.

Nowdays I still don't charge anywhere near what I could/should be charging for recording & mixing bands but I generally really enjoy the work so it's all good smile

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:25 am
AT Regular

Film audio post-production. Where to start on the ladder? Boom operator? Assistant location recordist?

I guess moving to a major city would be a good start... 

Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:18 pm
AT Regular

Boom is a good place to start, as it requires the least amount of gear.  As a quick tip, whatever mic you are using, get it as close to the actor without being in shot.  Dip into the safety if you need to.  The camera guy will give you all sorts of looks, but its better to be close with a cheaper mic, than far away with a great mic.  Of course, this is assuming you are going with the 'dialogue is the king of the hill' methodology.

Film has been all network based for me.  Did a single sound course as an elective at the Griffith Film School (I studied a Bachelor of Music Technology (I'd enter into the other debate currently happening, but I don't have time to read everything)), Did a podcast series with a director, then an ad for the Doritos you make it we play it, met people, did another film, met more people, do a film with some of them, meet more people etc.

I've slowed down the number of projects I take on, purely because of working full time, but I could very easily have done full time hours over the past couple of months with free stuff.  Unfortunately that doesn't pay, so I do what I can, and take the best ones.  The others I pass onto other soundies that I know.

You'll probably find that on low budget (no budget) stuff, you're boom op, location recorder, editor, foley ie everything to do with sound.  Knowing how what you do at the mic end affects everything else is invaluable knowledge.  Any questions, fire away and I'll try and help out.  Don't know how many film soundies lurk in these forums.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:37 pm
AT Newbie

Personally, its all been about the experience for me....

Do it all.

EQ/Comping
Mixing

It all based around audio / formulas... All info available within a few google keystrokes...

Sure , you wont get paid on a student film, , but you will get invaluable feedback form the producer/Director and most importantly from yourself.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:38 am
AT Regular

Hey Eric,

Like all sounds careers, there doesn't seem to be a set path into post-production. And it kind of depends on what you want to end up doing. For instance, there are plenty of mix-for-screen engineers that would never set foot on a foley stage. And then there are guys that have happily been swinging a boom pole for years (which is a real skill in itself). So I guess the question is, do you have a dream to end up in a particular chair, or are you asking, how do I get my foot in the door because I'm not sure what I want to do?

Have a read of this issue's article with Stephen Witherow to see where he came from. Might give you a bit of insight.

Cheers,

Mark

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:48 am
AT Regular

Not to rain on your parade but do you know what the working conditions are like in post production in Australia or what your chances of advancement are? Average salary? I'd suggest you look into it before you set your heart on some sort of prestigous dream which is very far from reality. The ASSG just did the first survey of their members in a long time and the results were disheartening but not unsurprising given so many post houses have gone out of business in the last 5 years and there are so many post engineers out of work as local content production shrinks and shrinks - 9 and 10 are nearly broke and ABC drama can only employ so many people. It's pretty grim and avg salary is 30K pa, which means you're unlikely to ever own your own home. Is that what you're up for?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:04 pm
AT Regular

Similar issues in the post sound industry:
http://www.apdg.org.au/wp-content/uploa ... ay2012.pdf

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]