It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
best mac for music - imac vs mac mini vs macbook pro 
AT Newbie

hi all, i'm a noob here and to computers and have been trawling thru sites & forums everywhere to find out what's the best set-up for me.. basically, i'm an analogue guy having played around here & there for years using an arsenal of old synths and bits & pieces and have decided to go digital to get some solid recordings down.. i will probably use a daw like logic or pro tools and some vst's/plug-ins but will mostly be using my sh-101/tb-303/tr-606/six-trak/drumtraks etc individually dubbed and some midi.. (already been thru the FW/USB soundcard debate and with the low latency and jitter rates that usb audio interfaces offer like the roland quad-capture and NI KA6 i've been looking at getting, FW 800 is not really imperative.. especially with the advent of thunderbolt)..

have pretty much decided on mac for ease-of-use/compatability and had my heart set on a macbbok pro for portability but am leaning towards mac mini for bang for buck or imac for big screen/all-in-one cleanliness..

i will probably end up buying 2nd hand on ebay as only have a budget of about $500 but am thinkng i might be better holding off and maybe getting the latest $999 mini.. it seems like a lot of mac for the price and considering i can get a screen really cheap and any keyboard from a 2 dollar shop it could be the cheapest way to go - if i were to buy new then i could probably get away with the entry level mac mini, although even the $999 mac mini with server out-specs the cheapest imac with i7 over i5 quad-core (although the imac is 2.5GHz to the mini's 2.0) but the mini also has dual 500GB hard drives.. + thunderbolt!.

is anyone out there using a mac mini for audio or even imac that you could provide some feeback/tips for me?.. thanx

Wed May 16, 2012 2:21 pm
AT Regular

Hey xchn!

I use an iMac as well as a few friends as they are not that dear (around $1300) and they can used straight out of the box, keyboard, mouse & screen are included.

I dont do anything overly intense, i run logic with a Mackie Blackjack (2 in, 2 out) i run plugins and a few virtual instruments as well as all this i run a lot of my design stuff as well, Photoshop, illustrator & indesign and it all holds up just fine.

Ive personally never come across anyone who has used a mac mini in their setup.

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/s ... y/mac_mini

By looking at them, they are pretty good, same amount of USB ports as an imac and very similar specs! As for the Macbooks, they have limited usb ports etc but i have one of these as well for just browsing the net etc. Never tried doing audio stuff on it but i do know of people that do.

Maybe someone else on here can shed some light on this?

Thu May 17, 2012 12:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]