It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Desk or No Desk 
AT Regular

I have a Digi003 rack+ a pair of Behringer 2030A monitor's, some mic's, plugin's etc. What I don't have is a mixing desk or at least a real one. When I was recently setting up to record some acoustic guitars I grabbed my little Behringer 8 channel desk so I could use it's phantom power. My mate Chris who runs a multimedia company in the UK and who has been recording bands for years told me to put it away and plugged the mic's directly into the rack.

When I asked why he said "Why would you want to make the track sound worse?"

My question is how much money do you have to spend to get a desk that would make things sound better? And if I'm only likely to be miking up an ordinary drum kit at the most do I need a desk at all?

smile

Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:13 am
AT Regular

You shouldn't really get a cheap mixer unless you really need it. Your just adding more to your signal chain which adds more potential problems and signal degredation. You want to to make the sound better, not worse. However using a mixer can bring a lot a lot of benefits like summing, no latency monitoring. Midas Venice 160 is a good option and the new ones double as an interface, I'd guess you'd be looking at a few thousand dollars before you can find a desk worth looking at.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:06 am
AT Regular

Certainly don't buy a console for the sake of it, because as a previous poster mentioned, it's easy to do more harm than good!

That said, a console can make your studio significantly more flexible in terms of routing, summing, setting up headphones mixes etc. Take into consideration the cost of cabling when adding a console as well... it adds up!

Keep an eye on the bay, second-hand desks, especially late 70's/early 80's ones come up all the time. A lot of the time the pres in these boards are worth having and with a little DIY you can have them rolling again and sounding quite good indeed.

Careful... it's a slippery slope smile

Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:14 pm
AT Regular

I currently use no desk - only because I can't afford to purchase one that will do my setup justice, and that I will get enough use from (These days i do more live multi-track than studio work)!

I have a few relatively inexpensive DBX Tube Pre's which i use when recording Vocals/Guitars etc, which I find better than going direct. Howver if I record a drum kit using my rig I have no other choice but go direct...

Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:30 pm
AT Regular

I use my little mixer for headphones mainly.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:17 am
AT Regular

I track directly into the 003 and the ADAT pre amps. However I was lucky enough to get an 8816 summing mixer and when i mix thats what I mix through.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:25 pm
AT Regular

Venicef looks awesome...

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:46 am
AT Regular

I think they're around the same price range as the previous Venice series.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:11 pm
AT Regular

The SSL Nucleus looks very interesting...

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 am
AT Regular

d4Dever said:

The SSL Nucleus looks very interesting...

It does, I had a dig at one in a show and shine in Sydney a month or so ago......bigger than what I expected, very very flexible. It would probably sit well in my set up.

My thoughts are a control surface over a desk for a home set up like mine. If I had a full time studio I would probably want a desk for auxiliary sends and more complex headphone mixes. But thats about all.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]