It is currently Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Starting off 
AT Newbie

If you were new to the industry and have a big love for the events side of things in the music industry, where would you go and how would you start off? smile

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:25 pm
AT Regular

Working at a production company or a crewing company will get you working at some cool shows, and all you need to know is how to roll a lead and lift heavy things!

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 am
AT Newbie

I have a Zoom Q3 HD and i was wondering what you guys think of it.   I know its not a professional piece of equipment but ive heard its the best hand held out there.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:32 pm
AT Regular

Man, I've been going to get one of the Zooms but really can't decide which one!

Everytime I make up my mind, a new one comes out. 

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:45 pm
AT Regular

I have to agree with d4Dever, although things like rolling leads and lifting heavy things can be learnt/taught.

As for the Zoom Q3, I haven't used that one specifically, but I do have and have used a H2.  The place where the H2 excels for me is in capturing ambiences.  The ability to do surround with a single battery powered device is great.  The MS ability of the new one is intriging, but I'm not sure I need to get it as I have something that does that job anyway.

As 2 differing examples of the H2, here are some links.  The first is a combination of a couple of different recordings that I made at the Mt. Gravatt Show a few years ago.  Some of the stock cars came within a couple of meters of the H2.  I put this together as part of an assignment at uni firstly as surround, but the submission required stereo.  Pity.

A Night at the Show by Tim Roberts Sound

This second one is a recording of my brother's band is a small shed.  Is surround mode, with the back of it facing the drums, bass amp front and centre with 2 guitar amps on either side.  Mixed with the volume knobs on the amps, slight EQ and compression, with vocals recorded later with a RODE NT1A.

You Found Me by Tim Roberts Sound

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:19 pm
AT Regular

Yeh Zooms are great, I haven't used their video stuff, but have a few H4n's which are awesome.

I mainly record live gigs, and have found the Zoom amazing in these situations:

1. Recording a whole gig - use the onboard mics for ambience and get a main L/R from the desk. The sound from the video is done this way 

2. Use it to record crowd noise to add to a multitrack recording, with the advantage of not using up channels on the multitrack, and also being battery powered you can put it anywhere! I have had issues with syncing audio from the zoom as it clocks a little slower than my multitracks, but when just using for crowd noise, its not an issue.

3. Used as described in number one along with a full multitrack recording, this way it acts as a backup of sorts if the multitrack dies.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:03 pm
AT Regular

I ended up getting the H2N.

It's a little fun machine! 

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]